Spiga

Second Thoughts...

Err.. Ok i need to admit something I thought that SharpDevelop would have been a good replacement to Visual C# 2005 but I was wrong. SharpDevelop has some slight issues. E.g. I wanted a message box to pop up and say "Hello World", sounds very easy but I did everything correctly but ended up with an error. On further investigation it seems that I needed to download the ~300MB .NET Framework SDK to give SharpDevelop some full functionality. Even so after downloading the Framework and running my test program it still gave an error. This time it gives a very different sort of error. After looking into the matter even further it seems that I need to add one line close to the begining:
using System;
using MsgBox = System.Windows.Forms.MessageBox;

Then I added
MsgBox.Show ("Hello World!!!");

under the button click procedure. And then it started working. It seems that If I want to learn something better use something that gives you less problems, there is a saying "You can't do tight rope on an old rope". So I think I will be going with Visual Studio .NET 2005 (I could use VS.NET 2008 but its still in beta and I don't have any idea as to its minimum requirement to run). Ok then I will start using VS.NET 2005 and let you know how things are doing on my end. See ya.

4 comments:

xphelper

December 12, 2007 at 9:26 PM

Well, after looking into your trouble, I would have to disagree!

I just added a button to a simple form in the designer and then clicked it which brought me to the source, then added a MessageBox. It compiled fine and worked fine. Here's the code:

void Button1Click(object sender, EventArgs e)
{
MessageBox.Show("hello");
}

Unknown

December 13, 2007 at 9:19 AM

Let me try this & come back...

Anonymous

April 4, 2008 at 4:35 PM

I have been doing PHP coding for years, but did C++ in college. I have been considering gettting into C# to see what it can do, so I will be interested in which program you end up using.

Anonymous

November 27, 2008 at 4:26 AM

I have been diving into c# for awhile now and it is a very user friendly language to learn.